Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

A couple of months: Auroville FM, a Surgery, an Award!

This post was actually written in April 2012.

As mentioned in my last blog post, I ran the Full Marathon at Auroville; this was on Sun 12 Feb '12. I had quite some discomfort during the first 10k, and put it down to a bad stomach. Turns out, I had a double hernia! Man, lucky I didn't know that while running :-)

So, upon returning to Bangalore, a few days later, I thought back and realized that I had this nagging abdomen kind-of pain even on earlier training runs. So I had a scan done and that's when I found out that this was the case- a bipolar hernia. Well, to cut a long story short, Dr. MG Bhat of Nova Medical Center fixed it- I had a hernia operation done (laproscopy) on 30 Mar '12. He's good and so am I now! :-)

Bangalore Runners, a recent company, headed by one of the best B'lore runners, Ashok Nath, ran an event "Applause" on Sun 1 April. Among the festivities, they awarded some "unusual" prizes as well- you know not necessarily for the fastest and best people (which of course is why am writing about it :).
And guess who won the "Most Improved Runner of the Year (Male)"? Yes, yours sincerely :-) Your humble servant. Hm.

I feel quite embarrassed actually, as I'm really not a fast runner. But, on reflection, that was the whole bloody point: I was not the fastest but I did indeed have a huge improvement in time- almost 45 minutes! between the KTM '10 and KTM '11 (Kaveri Trail Marathon, outside Mysore).
So I like to say that I improved from being a "really bad" to just a "bad" runner :)

Well, of course, from the last 15 days I haven't run at all. But guess what: I met the doc today, just now, and he said "start slowly again man. You're fine". Aha! Yes, I'll still go starting slow. Yes, dear parents and wifey, don't panic. :)

No comments: