Pages

Sunday, August 09, 2009

The mind is willing...

Yup, been a while since I've posted; though no one's really hanging onto my every word waiting for that next awesome post :-)

Improved in terms of distance running, yes. Have run the half-marathon distance (21km), now a total of 5 times, with one run in GKVK hitting the 23.4 km mark (11 July '09).

I seemed to have hit a plateau though... running anything more than 20k (heck, 18k) is, well, hell :-). It's not like the runs are getting much easier either.. Actually, I've been doing some speed-work and it definitely does help. But.. yes, always a but in there isn't it - I think the strive for speed and distance in the recent weeks has exposed another chink in my (already flagging) armour- I now seem to have a groin strain on my left leg :-(.
Can still run- today I ran 16.4k, albeit with some pain..guess I'll rest it for a while now.

So, in summary, I really do want to hit higher milestones; regrettably, the mind is willing but the flesh is weak.

PS> I've ordered a Garmin Forerunner 305 runner's watch- a superb piece of equipment, literally a must for serious runners; should reach me in about 10 days... waiting..



A trail in Cubbon Park.
From Kaiwan's Running Blog

5 comments:

Kersi said...

Nice going Kaiwan. Yes, a brief rest seems in order. Watch out for those groin injuries. They take a while to heal and have a history of coming back.

Is that Garmin one of those that records your route, calories burned at each point, heart rate, etc? If so, a guy I worked with had one of those gizmos and raved about it.

Kersi said...

UPDATE: I checked out the Garmin link. Looks like Devin had a model more akin to the 405CX although his was an older version. He had additional software that allowed him to upload his history and actually "trace" his pace, calories burned, times etc.

Kaiwan N Billimoria said...

@Kersi: Yup the Garmin 305 also does track various params incl. heart rate, cals, distance, route, etc etc.. And yes, you can then upload the stuff, create graphs, etc.

BD said...

Hi Kaiwan. remember me..? stumbled onto your blog while researching some android stuff and ah...neat surprise to see a familiar face around.. had no clue u were so much into running.. good stuff. hope things are good - dilshad and.. err.. i forget the kids name.
u have a facebook or something? drop by my blog sometime, not much activity, but there might be (some boring activity now n then, u know).. so you into android programming these days? interesting, coz.. am working on android as well, making a music app.

Kaiwan N Billimoria said...

@BD,

Hey BD!
Of course I remember you man.

Boss give me your mail ID as well...

Dilshad & Sheroy are fine, thanks.
Dilsh is due in a month, so we'll add one more!
How're you doing in the US? Great am sure...
Hey yeah, I am into Android..but not really app dev (Java), more looking at the internals side... hey do let me know if you put up a music-based app.

Do keep in touch, later, kaiwan.